src="http://s49.sitemeter.com/js/counter.js?site=s49apedaile" />

Friday, June 21, 2013

The Big Wreck

     We have managed to kick off the summer being very busy, events to attend, and a few unexpected things happened. Recently, JT experienced his first big wreck on his bike. Bumps, bruises, and scrapes are to be expected, perhaps more so with little boys, but I wasn't ready for this doozy.

     As you know, JT loves being outside and in particular riding his balance bike. John was out of town for work (that's why I ended up taking several photos of this event to share with him afterward), so Lindsay, Courtney and I took JT for an after dinner walk/ride. We took a route we have done many, many times however this ended on a bad note- JT had his first accident.

     Along the path are some little hills that JT just LOVES to ride down. I'm learning as he's getting older, more brave, and physically capable I have a bit of an thrill seeker on my hands. JT often glides down effortlessly on the hills, balancing all the way down.  This time, he did fantastic going down the hill, but caught a bit too much speed at the bottom and wiped out. I was only a few feet away from him and quickly swept him up in my arms doing a quick look over. I noticed some blood and discovered he had a large gash on his chin. My heart sank with seeing the source of his tears, but I went into Dr Mom mode. I placed his chin on my shoulder to apply pressure and quickly jogged home.

     When we got back to the house, I had our nurse in training, Sarah, take a look at it to confirm what I had thought- JT may very likely need stitches. It was a pretty deep and wide gash :( Lindsay and I gathered a few things and headed to our nearby hospital emergency room. ****Disclaimer- this post will have some photos that might gross you out. You have been warned ;)

After we got back to the room holding pressure and a cold compress. All of the nurses and Dr loved seeing JT still wearing his helmet. JT didn't want to take it off afterward, maybe thinking it would make him hurt more. Let this serve as a PSA for always wearing your helmet when riding your bike, scooters, skateboards,etc.


JT's wound after it had been cleaned out. He had his accident on the asphalt so there were some pieces of the road in his boo boo. He did absolutely fantastic during this part of the procedure with zero tears or fighting to stay still. 

Since his wound was quite jagged, the Dr recommended we use steri strips along with glue instead of stitches. This part was the most difficult for JT. The two sides had to be squeezed together and a few seconds after the glue was applied, there was a burning feeling that happened.  Poor bubba. I fanned his little face as much as I could to ease the discomfort.

JT impressed the staff so much with his bravery that he was given a Popsicle and a lollipop. We then headed home.

The finished result. I'm hoping this isn't typical for the life of boys. This Mom can't handle heartaches like this.

JT's first blood stained shirt.

He wanted to show John his bracelet from the hospital.

Sarah and Courtney were so sweet to have his area all set up with all of his favorite things. They even made him chocolate chip muffins to enjoy when he got back. This boy is loved.

The next morning. I thought it looked a bit worse just from the dried up blood and some of the abrasions that were developing.

The strips and glue stayed on for about 5 or so days. What remained was a nice big scab. We are now approaching 2 weeks out and all that remains is the scab from the deep area of his cut. I'll keep you posted on how JT's chin continues to heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment