src="http://s49.sitemeter.com/js/counter.js?site=s49apedaile" />

Friday, September 3, 2010

Grateful- from a teens perpective

   Sarah is now in her senior year and is a busy as ever. She has a lot of activities, friends, and sports to fill her "extra" time. She is also knee deep in her course work. She has a year long AP course in English/Writing. Part of her assignments involve essays and written responses (imagine that- writing in English!) I am privileged to help Sarah edit/proofread her assignments. Last night, I was reading her weekly poetry response. I really thought Sarah had written something pretty special and I wanted to share it here. I hope she will be able to keep a copy of this and someday reflect on it herself or show her children what insight she had at age 17.

“Defining the Grateful Gesture”


I am lucky I have both a mom and dad present in my life. I am lucky I have two sisters who listen to me ramble, sing (off key) loudly, and hear me freak-out when I misplace something. I am lucky I have one brother whose drooly face always brings a smile to my own face. I am lucky I have friends who I can talk to about anything and I know they would not give me a dirty look. I am lucky I have a best friend who gives the best hugs. I am glad I have friends that I can just be myself around and feel loved and accepted for who I am. I am lucky I have Sunday school teachers who send me encouraging texts throughout the week. I am lucky to be me.


I am lucky to live in a house with both air conditioning and heating. I am lucky I get to shower once a day in clean water. I am lucky that I get three meals a day. I am lucky that I get to have the meals I find “disgusting” because they are warm and nutritious. I am lucky I get the opportunity to play any sport imaginable. I am lucky I get to be the assistant coach for the girls’ volleyball team my dad coaches. I am lucky to be me.


I am lucky I get to hop in a car anytime I want to go anywhere. I am lucky I can walk into any stores and purchase any outfit. I am lucky I can purchase the outfit for any reason: it is a dress up day for Homecoming week, it is hip and trendy, or because it slims my hips. I am lucky I have a camera which I can capture the “Kodak” moment with. I am lucky I have a Walgreen’s account so I can print pictures off to remember those moments. I am lucky my parents allow me to make a “photo wall” in my bedroom where I can showcase my pictures to all who enter. I am lucky that even though it’s hard for me to pick out something to wear, I always have something clean available to wear. I am lucky to be me.


I am lucky to be the age I am. I am lucky I get to be the age that I am. I am lucky I get to be young and have fun. I am lucky that I am going to get to go to college. I am lucky that I get to go on college visits and make decisions that will mold me into the person I will be in the future. I am lucky I get to give my input for what I think America needs through voting. I am lucky I get to make a choice for our nation. I am lucky that I do not have a religion forced down upon me. I am lucky I got to pick Jesus because I wanted to.


I am lucky to be me.





No comments:

Post a Comment